Picture
Despite not being a fan of Sprint’s impressive line of keyboard phones, I still ended up buying an HTC Arrive. I did this, not because I was a fan of the hardware, but because I’m a fan of Windows Phone, and needed badly to replace my aging HTC Diamond.

Today my HTC Arrive (wait for it . . . wait for it) arrived! Initial impression: Impressed. This is an extremely nice slider phone, and while it has a little more heft and bulk than I prefer in a phone, the keyboard is a pleasure to use, and the device screams quality.

Pictures and more after the break.

The HTC Arrive screen is a 3.6” SLCD, and does appear a little washed out compared to the 4” Super AMOLED  on my Samsung Focus. But the whites are whiter, and the text crisper. Also head on, the blacks are still very deep, not as milky as the Focus, but extremely good compared to LCD.

Another point of difference is the memory. The Focus uses fast NAND memory, while the HTC Arrive uses a 16 GB Class 4 SD card. The HTC Arrive is noticeably faster loading apps, but this doesn’t come as a surprise since it has the NoDo update, where as the Focus only has the pre-NoDo update. As for copying /offloading files to from the phone, there was no distinguishable difference. More thorough testing will need to be offered here at a later time.

Pictures can’t do this hardware justice. It feels good in the hand, and looks great in person. Throughout the weekend I will do a few more comparative articles, comparing the camera, and a few other differences between the two phones, but from the tests I have done so far, aside from the size/weight difference added by the keyboard, the HTC Arrive doesn’t have any deal breaking faults when compared to a quality device like the Samsung Focus.

Below is a gallery of comparison pictures. Check back over the next few days for more articles on the HTC Arrive and how it compares to the Samsung Focus.

Read more comparisons of the HTC Arrive vs. Samsung Focus

HTC Arrive vs. Samsung Focus Part 2: Camera

HTC Arrive vs. Samsung Focus Part 3: Gaming

Comments

court

Fri, 25 Mar 2011 6:44:24 pm

Hmm, doesn't seem as bad as I thought. Still wish they had a candy bar phone without the keyboard. I switched to att because sprint always gets the keyboard phones.

Wes

Fri, 25 Mar 2011 8:01:54 pm

Yawn, another warmed over HTC device with the same minimum specs. This phone is the same as the Evo Shift with a different O/S and radio chip. It will suffer the same poor battery life and other issues that HTC is known for, like peeling finish. I had a HTC Hero with the same kind of finish, and after the last three HTC devices have all had major issues, I am so glad to be with LG. 6 months later and not a single issue.

i told u so .com

Sat, 26 Mar 2011 9:59:23 am

to WES actully you shouldnt make judgments on things you've never tried. For the Record I have picked up the Arrive and get 16 hours of battery life on a single charge on medium to heavy usage. Also the FYI for people with this phone the Evo battery fits and works in there just fine so you can use a extended one 1800, if you want prob a day in a half worth of life. The Evo shif keyboard is horrid (again Ive had one for 2 months) and the phone is very slow compared to the arrive. HTC is a very good phone manufacturer so please people disregard the post above me.

Carson Kuehne

Sat, 26 Mar 2011 1:46:56 pm

As far as Windows Phone 7 is concerned, the HTC devices actually have the longest battery life of any manufacturer. I believe Wes is confusing what he has seen with Android with what is going on with Windows Phone.

I will talk about battery life later this week after I have had more time to test it.

Sun, 27 Mar 2011 7:02:02 pm

Really interested in your continued posts on this. I too have a Touch Diamond on Sprint, and am considering the Arrive as I'm long-past due for an upgrade. I've got a iPhone 3GS from work, though, and that's holding me over for a while on the phone.

I'm considering this Arrive, or holding out for the Nexus S to "arrive". I don't have 4G where I live or work, and won't probably get it for another year or much more, so I could avoid the "4G tax" on my SERO plan if I go with the Arrive.

Would be interested in your take on Android vs WP7, esp. the current state of apps on WP7. Is there anything on WP7 like Tasker which will let me schedule when my phone switches to mute (at night), etc? Thanks in advance!

Court

Sun, 27 Mar 2011 7:30:41 pm

@Tim

I would steer clear from Android right now. I went from a touch diamond, to iphone 3GS to android and now I'm at windows mobile. Android is nice and everything, but frankly the quality of apps is pretty bad and the phone requires quite a bit of tinkering to get it working well.

Vs WP7, android has a leg up in multitasking and that's about it. Frankly, when using WP7 and trying to do a few things are once, it is a pretty big pain. Every time you switch back to a third party app, it takes a while to "rehydrate". With the multitasking update due this year, that will go away. WP7 is just more of a joy than android though. WP has something special about it that android doesn't.

It's a hard choice, but already WP has a ton of quality games and the apps are getting there. Again, MS needs to release some software updates to really get things going.

If you are a serial phone switcher (doesnt sound like you are) then I would recommend nexus S, or Evo and switch to WP after the Mango update with multitasking.

As far as a tasker app, I doubt it exists, at least not nearly as fully featured as you would want. This is due to lack of multitasking. 3rd party apps just cant run in the background. It kinda sucks.

Again though, WP has something magical about it that just makes it fun to use.

Disposed

Sat, 16 Apr 2011 2:28:39 am

Wes shold actually do some homework before making such ignorant statements.

The shift is not even close to being the same hardware. Slower processor, different screen, much different keyboard etc.

Comments are closed.

Our Top Picks

Spy Bot Chronicals
    Chic
    Sketch Defense
    Picture

Check out our video reviews.